In the wake of tragedy in Orlando, Governor Andrew Cuomo established a commission to create a memorial honoring the fight for equal rights and all victims of hate, intolerance and violence. The Governor, under Executive Order No. 158, established the LGBT Memorial Commission. As New Yorkers and Americans continue to mourn this tragedy, the Commission has been tasked with providing recommendations to the Governor for the selection of an artist and the construction of a new memoria
The Memorial Commission and the State of New York have identified the western edge of Greenwich Village as the location for this memorial. The site location is subject to review and approval of the Commission.
A selection panel comprised of the LGBT Memorial Commission with advisory design professionals and location site staff will review and select finalists from the submitted artist proposals.
The selection panel will carefully review and select a short list of artists based on the criteria below:
- Interpretation/Clarity of Theme
- Artist Qualifications
- Creativity & Originality of Depicted Theme
- Quality of Artistic Composition
- Site Compatibility
- Sustainability/Maintenance & Operations
- Budgetary Compliance
- Overall Impression of Art
The Statement of Artist Intent
This must be a summary statement of your proposal’s artistic intent, reflecting on the following:
- Convey artistic innovation and excellence, and be non-commercial in nature.
- Memorial art piece should address the LGBT community and all victims of hate, intolerance and violence.
- Memorial art piece should be a creative and original tribute to the LGBT community, and serve as a Beacon of Justice celebrating New York’s commitment to the LGBT community and the state’s dedication to creating a more just and inclusive society.
- October 20, 2016: Call for Artists Announcement
- October 20 – November 21, 2016: Online Competition Submission Period
Submissions must be submitted by November 21, 2016 11:59 pm EST.
- October 20 – October 31, 2016: Submit Questions to LGBT Commission
- November 4, 2016: Publish Responses to Questions on Website
- December 2016: Public Announcement
To find out more about this $800,00 project, visit https://www.ny.gov/lgbt-memorial-commission/lgbt-memorial-competition#top